Sunday 13 September 2009

Presumed Consent - Be a donor

Imogen Shillito of the British Liver Trust, a charity which helps the two million people with liver problems and represents doctors in the field, said: "At the moment 20 people die of liver disease for every one that receives a transplant. With so few organs available, sometimes there will be shortages for less common blood groups. That can cause life-threatening delay, and the British Liver Trust is very concerned about this shortage. We need to see changes of NHS organisation and public attitude to help boost the supply of organs and allow more patients to benefit from transplants." Read the article from The Observer here.

Around 65% of British people say they are prepared to donate an organ after their death – but only some 27% are registered donors. Around 1,000 people every year die for want of transplant surgery. While the number of registered donors has more than doubled in recent years, from 8 million in 2001 to 16.45 million today, the increase has not kept pace with lengthening waiting lists.


Britain has one of the lowest Doner rates in Europe, but one change – the move to "presumed consent" could change everything. Instead of relying on people to volunteer, registration would be automatic, but with an easy opt-out where families would still be entitled to prior consultation, and have a right to refuse.

Frank Deasy explains how a system in crisis could be transformed if more of us registered for organ donation

Like Frank I have a primary liver tumour and my liver is in a chronic state. I shall be asking on Thursday - at last - why I am not on the list yet or whether that will never happen. Imagine if i make the list and I die before a suitable donor is found?

There are 8,067 patients on the transplant waiting list: 6,974 need a new kidney, 380 need a liver, 279 need a kidney and pancreas, 240 need a lung or pair of lungs and 105 need a heart.

For more information or to sign up to the NHS Organ Donor Register, call the 24-hour donor helpline on 0300 1232323, or visit organdonation.nhs.uk

I rolled briefly on Thursday with Ben El Legendo Randall who's just reached the young age of 40! However I've been knocked out most of the weekend feeling sick and I can feel an inflamed liver.

"I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don't do things half heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails