Friday 15 May 2009

re framing

A few people have questioned the current title of the blog 'How Cancer Has Saved Pat's Life' and what i meant by it.

It's called re framing and it is quite simply taking something that you look at and looking at it from a different direction.

As an instructor I often find people say that they wish to achieve something but they are unable to do it. That is a result of the conditioning that has come from the put downs they have had throughout school, life in general. [This highlights the relevance of the Krishnamurti quotes where he talks about having no history to be free.]

We talk about free choice a lot in this country, but the choice is actually far from free. Its manipulated by the vision we have that has been built up by others visions of reality. Orwell was one of the best authors to use this in his stories. There's manipulated choice, based on prejudices we have from our history and percieved interpretations of events.

So what we do is re frame the way we look at things and change the limitations ourselves and others have put on us. In my case, the BIG C which people referred to as Cancer was a death sentence that sends a chill through most peoples hearts. In my action, i have re framed it in order that i don't get handicapped by other peoples perceptions.

My issue is my liver. The cancer or turmour is because of the imbalance in my liver. I don't see the Cancer as anything but a side issue, that is not to say it's not serious, but its the Liver that will define my longevity.

In the same way, I might be in a team of strong experienced individuals at work. Its eay to feel like the weak link and not have the confidence to stand your ground. So I would reframe this situation and look at the strengths I bring to the group, what I have that is vital to the groups development.

Taking this route you will always be able to overcome those fears so many of us have.

Indira Gandhi: "Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up."

RED FRIDAYS

Very soon, you will see a great many people wearing Red every Friday.

The reason?

Our idea of showing solidarity and support for our troops with dignity and respect starts this Friday and continues each and every Friday until the troops all come home.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails