Friday 16 April 2010

Kidney issues

Relaxing in the garden

My potassium levels are at 6.2. What that means, apparently is that the kidneys are not working properly. Since i have been drinking 2.5 litres a day of fluids, I'm not urinating it out. I was avoiding fruit and chocolate because they have high potassium levels.

The shock of coming out of hospital may have triggered it but it may be my Tacrolimus that is causing it. Tacrolimus is an immunosuppressant that i will take for the rest of my life, stopping my body rejecting the liver.

I got to see a new side to other peoples kidney issues whilst at hopsital. Some of the Dialysis centres deal with 100 people a day. About 40,000 patients in the UK are receiving dialysis or have functioning kidney transplants, which are grouped together as Renal Replacement Therapy, RRT. With the rise in child obesity and our societies reliance on fast processed food this is a number that could explode.

Kali comes home today, having spent the last few weeks in Inverness. That will bring it all together, that I have no doubt!

Congratulations to an old pal who moved to New Zealand and with his wife have just given birth to their daughter Lucia. A Chelsea babygrow will be dispatched asap!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails